Translate This Page

F.A. Brannen Memorial Park

Location
Located In Clark's Harbour (town of)
Where To Find Us
Clark's Harbour, NS
Areas Served Shelburne County
Contact
E-Mail clerk@clarksharbour.com
Phone 902-745-2390
Description & Services
Information  
 
The first ball fields in Clark's Harbour were on the local beaches. This made playing very inconvenient because travel was difficult. It was agreed on that a ball field was to be built in Clark's Harbour, so the F. A. Brannen Memorial Park was built. This ball field was started in 1920, when Mr. Francis A. Brannen sold a piece of his land to the Town of Clark's Harbour for $325. The land, which is located on Bruce Street, was very wet and swampy, so loads of ashes were brought in from local schools that burned coal for fuel. 
 
The first team to receive an official name was the "Clover Leafs". Their names changed throughout the years to "The Smokies" and are presently known as the "Foggies". The F. A. Brannen Memorial park still remains very busy, homing many teams that range from the ages of four and up. The ball field was in such demand that lights were installed surrounding the ball field so that evening games could be played. This field still plays a major part in Clark's Harbour's every day life.
Special Information
Tags Baseball ; Recreation Categories ; South Shore Connect ; Sports Fields