|Record #: MDS0126||Last Modified: 24 Oct 2017||Last Full Update: 24 Oct 2017|
|Located Within||McNutts Island|
|Where To Find Us||
McNutt’s Island, NS
|Areas Served||Shelburne County|
|Phone||902-875-3544 Ext. 225|
|Contact||Adam Dedrick, Director of Recreation and Parks|
|Mailing Address||c/o Municipality of the District of Shelburne - Recreation & Parks
PO Box 280
136 Hammond St
Shelburne, NS B0T 1W0
|Description & Services|
Established in 1788 on McNutt’s Island in the mouth of Shelburne Harbour, Cape Roseway was the third lighthouse ever built in Canada.
It was built old world style with the cliff rocks it stands on.
The rock walls were 6 feet thick and was structured with oak beams.
In 1959 the lighthouse was struck by lightning and burned.
The rock slabs were cracked and were replaced by the current concrete tower.
The Present light is 111 feet above sea level.
Today the light is accessible by boat and a 2 mile road from the wharf.
|Tags||Recreation Categories ; South Shore Connect ; Summer Fun ; Visual Arts|