St. Peters Battery Provincial Park
|Where To Find Us
10110 Grenville St
St. Peters, NS B0E 3B0
Description & Services
Located on on the southeast coast of Cape Breton Island, the park is on a hillside overlooking St. Peters Bay.
The lighthouse found in the park serves as a landmark for the entrance to St. Peters Canal. Completed in 1869, the 800 m (2,600 ft.) canal and lock system allow vessels to sail between Bras d' Or Lake and the Atlantic Ocean.
The Park is home to a number of historically significant sites, including the site of a lime kiln used to make plaster and mortar, some of which was used in the construction of Fortress Louisbourg, as well as the remains of two forts that involved in the French and English struggle over the North American continent.
Facilities and Services
The park offers a 56 site wooded hillside campground, comfort station (showers and flush toilets), open picnic area, and unsupervised beach. Walking trails provide a good view of the surroundings and much of the history of the site is described at interpretive sites along the way.
WiFi is available at the admin building and surrounding area. Password required, please see the park receptionist.
|All Things Trails ; Beaches ; Cape Breton Connect ; Cultural ; Fall Fun ; HALIFAX ; Health ; NS Trail Guide ; Park ; Provincial Park ; Recreation Categories ; Running ; Trails ; Walking
|Categories - General
|Beaches ; Campgrounds ; Displays/Exhibits ; Geocaching ; Hiking Trails ; Picnic Grounds ; Provincial/Territorial Parks