|Record #: ANT0055||Last Modified: 28 Aug 2019||Last Full Update: 12 Feb 2019|
|Located In||Antigonish, NS|
|Where To Find Us|
|Areas Served||Antigonish County|
|Contact||Kristel Fleuren-Hunter, Branch Librarian|
|Alternate Contact||Crystal Wallace-MacEachern, Branch Assistant|
|Mailing Address||c/o Antigonish Town & County Public Library
283 Main St
Antigonish, NS B2G 2C3
|Description & Services|
|Information||Antigonish Town & County Library is one of seven branches in our regional library system and is located on Main Street (next to the movie theatre). The Antigonish County Adult Learning Association (ACALA) is also located in the library building, and have offices and classroom space in the library. The Antigonish Library is a wireless hotspot (WIFI) with access to high speed Internet.
We offer a full range of free services and access to the resources of all Nova Scotia public libraries.
Books for all ages and interests, reference, large print book, DVDs/videos, magazines, audiobooks, Playaways, downloadable audiobooks, ebooks and emagazines, online databases & instructional programs (such as Ancestry.ca, Rocket Languages, Chilton's Library) and more.
Programming, Reader's advisory, reference, inter-library loan, public Internet access, Makerspace, printer, scanner, 3Dprinter, family play packs, Nordic walking poles, and instructional tours available upon request. The Antigonish Library also has a very large Public Art display area, that is available for displays. For more information, please contact the library.
An after hours bookdrop and 24-hour checkout is available at the Library entrance.
All library programs are offered free of charge, although space is limited – so please call the Library for more information, and to register (902-863-4276). These regular library programs are offered through the fall until the spring (from September – June) while over the summer months, special programming (such as the Summer Reading Clubs for children) is offered. Throughout the year, special programs are also offered such as workshops, and presentations on a variety of topics. For more information, please visit: www.parl.ns.ca/events .
Children’s & Youth programs -
- ABCs for Babies (ages 0 –15 months), on Fridays at 10:00am
- ToddleTimes (ages 15 months – 3 years), on Wednesdays at 10:00am
- Preschool Storytimes (ages 3-5 years), on Mondays at 10:00am
- LEGOs@Library, a ‘drop-in’ as you wish program on Thursdays at 9:30am & at 3:00pm
- Young Readers Club (ages 9-12 years), on the 3rd Monday of the month at 3:00pm
- Teen Readers Club (ages 13 +), on the 4th Monday of the month at 3:00pm
Adult programs -
- Book Clubs, the 2nd Wednesday at 7pm, the 3rd Wednesday at 7:30pm and the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 10:00am
- Community Café, a ‘drop-in as you wish’ program - on the 1st Wednesday of the month, at 2:00pm - with light refreshments, an interesting presentation.
- Armchair Travelers, a ‘drop-in as you wish’ program - on the 2nd Thursday of the month, at 7:00pm - with guest presentations by travelers from around the world.
- Open Mic Night, a ‘drop-in as you wish’ program - on the 3rd Friday of the month, at 6:30pm – with lively local entertainment on the Library Stage from poetry, to music, theatre to spoken word, stories & song …
- Knitting Circle, a 'drop-in' weekly program held Wednesdays at 2:00pm.
The Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library Board will provide non-profit groups with meeting space free of charge in the Library's Community & Meeting Rooms, when not in use for library activities. These meetings are to be of a non-fund raising, non-revenue generating nature. The Board reserves the right to accept or reject requests for the use of meeting space. For more information, please call the library (902-863-4276).
The Antigonish Library has a large Community Room available for reservations, with an adjoining community kitchen and outdoor patio. In addition, this library also has a smaller meeting room space, and a small community office that are also available for reservations.
|Hours||Mondays 9:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesdays 9:00am - 9:00pm
Wednesdays 9:00am - 9:00pm
Thursdays 9:00am - 9:00pm
Fridays 9:00am - 9:00pm
Saturdays 9:00am - 5:00pm
|Accessibility||Fully Wheelchair Accessible ; The library also provides supported access to the CELA & NNELS audiobook collections for the Visually Impaired & Print Disabled, and has a long-term equipment loan program for DaisyReaders, for library clients. For more information, please contact your local library branch.
The Library also carries Sensory Play (Neurodiversity Tool Kits) developed by AutismNS with sensory, visual and fidget tool bags available for families to borrow.
|Tags||Active Living ; Active Transportation ; After School Programs ; All abilities welcome ; All Things Trails ; Book clubs ; Classes/courses ; Community Organizations ; Connecting People & Nature ; Cultural ; Fall Fun ; Fall Programs ; Family-friendly ; Festivals/Events ; Free equipment loan ; Gardens, Gardening Groups ; Geocaching ; Guided Tours ; Health ; Highland Connect ; Inclusion & Access ; Indoor play space ; Learn To Programs (introductory level) ; Library ; March Break ; Movie Theatre ; Personal Development ; Recreation Capacity ; Recreation Categories ; Recreation Facilities ; Seniors ; Social Gatherings ; Special Interest ; Spring Programs ; Storytime ; Summer Fun ; Summer Programs ; Supportive Environments ; Tourism ; Visual Arts ; Walking ; Winter Programs ; Youth|